HELP Home Energy Loan Program
Help is here for homeowners who want to live an environmentally sustainable lifestyle! Toronto’s Home Energy Loan Program (HELP) provides low-interest loans to cover up to $75,000 in residential improvements. The HELP system makes it easier to afford costly renovations. When environmentally-friendly upgrades are installed, homeowners experience reduced energy consumption and savings to their energy and hydro bills over time.
Funds can be invested towards home energy upgrades, including:
- High-efficiency furnaces / boilers / air conditioners
- Air source heat pumps
- Window / door replacements
- Basement/attic/exterior wall insulation
- Air sealing
- Geothermal systems
- High-efficiency water heaters
- Drain-water heat recovery systems
- Toilet replacements
- Solar hot water systems
- Rooftop solar PV panels
HELP incentivizes upgrades
The program is presented by the City of Toronto and LiveGreen Toronto. Eligibility is open to homeowners of detached, semi-detached, or row houses. All owners on the title property must consent and all property taxes and utility payments must be in good standing. Properties under mortgage must also obtain written consent from the mortgage lender.
How HELP helps you
To get HELP you must complete a five-step application process:
- Submit an application
- Get a home assessment
- Submit a request for funding
- Enter into a property owner agreement
- Complete the improvements and report
Once funding is approved, homeowners hire the contractor of their choice to do the renovations, with no additional paperwork for the contractors to complete. If you require assistance finding a contractor in the Toronto-area then check the eRenovate web portal.
Homeowners can repay the loan in installments added to their property tax bill by enrolling in the City’s Pre-authorized Tax Payment plan. These payments are treated in the same manner and subject to the same penalties, remedies and lien priorities as property taxes.
Reasons to choose HELP
Financing energy-efficient upgrades with below-market interest rate loans and longer repayment terms mean that participants can reduce their home energy use by an average of 25-30% per year.
“Homeowners who improve their homes with the help of a low-interest loan from the City of Toronto could save on average $560 per year on their energy bills,”
Stewart Dutfield, program manager of the City of Toronto’s Home Energy Loan Program (HELP)
Some other reasons why you should choose HELP:
- Low fixed interest rates and repayment terms of up to 15 years
- Avoid large upfront costs and pay for improvements over time as you save on your energy bills
- Repay the loan via installments on your property tax bill
- At any time during the term of the loan, you may pay the outstanding balance in full without penalty
- Receive ongoing support from the HELP team and assistance accessing additional rebates and incentives from Province of Ontario and utility companies
- The loan is attached to the property, not the owner. This means that if you sell your home before the loan is repaid, the loan is passed on to the new owner
Get HELP today!
For more information on how to apply please visit the Toronto HELP website, and remember, the benefits don’t stop there. Once you get involved with HELP you may combine it with other qualified programs, including incentives from the City of Toronto and the Province of Ontario. View a list of all loans and rebates available.
Some of the other great programs in Toronto include:
- Toronto Renovates Homeowners Program
- Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program
- Heritage Grant Program
- Eco-Roof Incentive Program
Programs like HELP and others are a great benefit for communities moving towards a greener future. The tremendous reach of HELP in Canada’s biggest metropolis shows that we can all play a part.
For more exciting news and incentives to go green, stay subscribed to The Electric Blog!